Monday, October 23, 2006

When I play with my cat...

...,who knows if I am not a pastime to her more than she is to me? (Michel Eyquem de Montaigne)
brought me back to the notion of "nonsense" & "it-just-is" moments of doing nothing really but enjoying it the most. Surrounded by complex role-playing games and extravagant aniamted graphics, we tend to forget how recreational the rather simple, tangible and emotionally touching encounters are.
Last week, while I was driving to Irvine, as usual in the slow-looser lane with something like 60 mph (I don't want to disappoint my Volvo) I met somebody on the road. This is nothing unusual in LA. I would assume. Missing social day-to-day encounters in public spaces or when forced to waste time taking public transportation (never imagined how much I will miss my spaceless times in the subway), LAers meet in the car. Each person has its own. That's not unusual either. Me driving slowly enjoying Morning Stories on the radio, this other old-car driver passed by. Almost same speed. A little bit faster. Hmm, I felt less lonely among the "we are the right car to have" colleagues. We ended up driving next to each other for about 15 min I guess, both smiling, ridiculously waving our hands and pretending to be really different than all the others. It was fun and I experienced my first car relationship - a game for the moment.

Had another car experience in front of the grocery store in Long Beach. Seem to collect them gradually.
People in LA don't beg sitting on the street.. "wo sind wir denn bitte!"
Here people beg while passing you, the person who is walking on the street, in their car! I was so stunned, I could just stare at this... and damn, this car was newer than my own! (I vote for the invention of the begging-drive-through!)

3 Comments:

Blogger Mohan-S said...

thats soo cool :)).. in car exprienence!!

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think they were trying to hit on you. :) maybe times are changing and they realized that girls don't really like to be whistled at or yelled "compliments" at from a car window. :P

8:09 AM  
Blogger lia said...

hehe.. damn and I was felt so comfortable with the "we stick together because we have an old car" thing.. ok I add the "hitting on me in car" to my "begging drive through" and "in the car but not at the beach" and "driving is relaxing when you refuse to admit that you are sitting in a car" experiences :)

3:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home